This Week in 1959 - Casbah Club Opening Night
31 Aug 2023
The iconic Casbah Club opened its doors 64 years ago in 1959, marking a pivotal moment in the history of British music and youth culture. Founded by Mona Best in the cellar of a Victorian townhouse, the club became a hub for burgeoning artists and music enthusiasts. It was here that a young and promising band called The Quarrymen, led by John Lennon, Paul McCartney, and George Harrison, began to make their mark on the local music scene.
On the opening night, George Harrison, Paul McCartney, John Lennon and Ken Brown took to the stage, after they helped decorate and paint the interior of the club and get it ready for the opening - with Lennon drawing his own illustrations on the ceiling before being told to paint over them.
The Casbah Club's influence extended beyond music. Its distinctive decor, featuring hand-painted walls and a sense of bohemian escapism, contributed to the emergence of a counterculture movement. This ethos would later characterize the swinging '60s.
SAVE £64 ON PHOTOGRAPHIC PRINTS | Gift Code: CASBAH
In celebration of the opening night of the Casbah Coffee Club, you can use the gift code CASBAH
to receive £64 OFF
your purchase of any of the exclusive Mike McCartney Early Liverpool Print Series
, until Sunday 3rd September at midnight and while stocks last. For the full terms and conditions, please see below.
Mike McCartney's Early Liverpool
TERMS & CONDITIONS
- The CASBAH gift code is valid on all new orders of Mike McCartney Early Liverpool Photographic Prints placed from today until midnight Sunday 3rd September.
- The CASBAH gift code must be entered at checkout during the offer period.
- This offer is made subject to availability, while stocks last.
- Gift Codes cannot be combined with other codes, offers, or discounts.
- Gift Codes cannot be resold, redeemed, refunded for cash, or used towards previous purchases.